Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Still Workin'

Well, it seems that I got off to a good start posting about our construction progress and then of course, life happened and I got sidetracked. So here is my attempt to get up to speed!
Day 4:
After the excitement of watching the trees come down, day 4 was actually very quiet. The gas company came and marked the gas line, so we won't hit it when we excavate the upper driveway.




Luckily, it was a quiet day for work because we soon found out we had a pretty big plumbing issue....
When the tree guys were here, we were made aware of a possible leak in the back yard near our garage, and only presented when we ran the washing machine. When the washer would run it's cycle and then drain, water would literally pool up in the back. Obviously there was a problem. We got the plumber out and discovered this...


The pipe was actually broken while they were digging, but it was completely clogged. Seeing this, they continued digging and found....

Our washing machine was hooked up to its own septic system, they called it a grease trap. Apparently the field lines that ran from it were completely warped and damaged from tree roots and probably not having been cleaned in years. Take all of these in to account and you can see that it isn't draining properly. Unfortunately, to repair this would require installing new field lines and subject to the approval of the health department, and of course several thousand dollars. Since all of this seriously wasn't in the budget (& not even close!), we opted to move the laundry upstairs where there is an old hookup. I can't say that I am completely bummed about this (I hated having my laundry room downstairs in the basement), mainly because moving upstairs meant that our current, outdated and ghetto set would not fit in the small wash closet. So, I scored this lovely set...

Ignore the fact that it is candy apple red....it actually grows on you and I am loving using them!Once the little plumbing issue was somewhat resolved, we moved on with our work....

Day 5:

The excavator arrived and dug out the trench for the wall footings.

Day 6:We had some weather hold us up for a few days, but with clear skies today, the crew showed up and worked super hard (and on cinco de mayo too!!). I can definitely see progress...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am digging the red washer and dryer! i wish we had a snazzy set like that. ours is outdated but it works so i guess i am stuck with it! i really like the red!

Sarah Stanley said...

Meg, I like the red too! If you're going to be doing dull laundry, you might as well have a saucy washer and dryer to spice it up!

sew many designs said...

Wow, I would give anything to have my washer and dryer in a central location and I do love the red! The backyard is looking great!